Dremel has become so associated with rotary tools that it is used in a generic manner. But if you want to try products from other brands there are lots of options, but which is the best Dremel alternative?
A lot of brands will tell you they’re the best, but of course some rotary tools are better than others. Going through each of those product reviews will take forever, so instead I picked out 8 of the top alternatives to Dremel.
Apart from the reviews I’ve also prepared a buyer’s guide that covers all the essentials. Even if you’re a first time buyer, the information may help.
Table of Contents
- 1 Dremel Alternative: Comparison
- 2 Best Picks of Dremel Alternative
- 2.1 #1: Tacklife RTD35ACL Advanced Multi-functional Rotary Tool Kit
- 2.2 #2: WEN 2305 Rotary Tool Kit with Flex Shaft
- 2.3 #3: Black & Decker RTX-B 3-Speed RTX Rotary Tool Kit
- 2.4 #4: DEWALT DW660 Cut-Out 5 Amp 30,000 RPM Rotary Tool with 1/8-Inch and 1/4-Inch Collets
- 2.5 #5: SE 979FSG Flexible Shaft Grinder
- 2.6 #6: Kawasaki 840589 190-Piece Rotary Tool and Accessory Kit
- 2.7 #7: Genesis GRT2103-40 VS Rotary Tool with 40 Accessories
- 2.8 #8: UBANTE U300 Variable Speed Rotary Tool Kit
- 3 What is a Dremel Alternative?
- 4 Types of Dremel Alternatives
- 5 Dremel Alternative Bits & Accessories
- 6 How to Choose a Dremel Alternative
- 7 Features to Look For in a Dremel Alternative
- 8 Final Verdict
Dremel Alternative: Comparison
Here is a table highlighting some of the salient features of each product.
|Product||Variable Speed||Number of Accessories||Speed Range||Dimensions||Weight||View on Amazon|
|Tacklife RTD35ACL||Yes||80 accessories with 3 attachments||3,200 to 10,000 RPM||11.5 x 9.5 x 3.3 inches||3.5 lbs||Check Price|
|WEN 2305||Yes||100||8,000 to 30,000 RPM||7 x 11.5 x 3.8 inches||3.55 pounds||Check Price|
|Black & Decker RTX-B 3-Speed RTX||3 speed||5||12,000/24,00030,000 RPM||8.9 x 2.3 x 4.1 inches||2.05 pounds||Check Price|
|DEWALT DW660||No||3||30,000 RPM||11.5 x 5.5 x 3.5 inches||3.4 pounds||Check Price|
|SE 979FSG||No||40||22,000 RPM||15.4 x 11 x 4.1 inches||2.32 pounds||Check Price|
|Genesis GRT2103-40||Yes||40||8,000-30,000 RPM||12.1 x 5.7 x 2.6 inches||1.5 pounds||Check Price|
|Kawasaki 840589||Yes||190||8,000-30,000 no load RPM||2.2 x 14.5 x 13.5 inches||3.5 pounds||Check Price|
|UBANTE U300||Yes||32||10,000 to 37,000 RPM||11.9 x 4.1 x 2.7 inches||1.75 pounds||Check Price|
Best Picks of Dremel Alternative
#1: Tacklife RTD35ACL Advanced Multi-functional Rotary Tool Kit
The Tacklife rotary tool kit is for all around use in your home, for crafts and DIY projects. With 3 attachments and 80 accessories you’ll be able to do a lot more and in less time.
The rotary tool allows you to drill, sharpen, engrave, polish, carve, grind, sand and cut different materials. With its multipurpose cutting bit you can create different shapes on wood.
The accessories and tools simplify DIY, crafting and home improvement tasks. Changing bits and accessories is easy so you can do a lot more work at a faster rate.
The rubber grips have a nice molding so it’s more comfortable to hold. The tool’s ergonomic design also gives you a steadier grip for better control.
You hold the RTD35ACL like a pen if you need to do a lot of precision work. Do you need to apply more force? Just hold the RTD35ACL similar to a hammer.
With the speed up to 10,000 RPM you’ll have full control over what’s happening. It’s also easy to change the speed to suit your requirements so you can go as fast or slow as necessary.
Its spindle lock is well made and provides a convenient way to switch bits. The auxiliary handle also helps with stability and accuracy.
For all its features, the RTD35ACL is still easy to operate. It also lasts a lot longer than other rotary tools in its class.
#2: WEN 2305 Rotary Tool Kit with Flex Shaft
The WEN 2305 is a versatile rotary tool for anyone who needs to do precision work with wood and metal. The style I’m reviewing comes with a flex shaft so you can do more complex work without difficulty.
The integrated spindle lock lets you change bits and accessories with ease. Using this you’ll be able to proceed from cutting to sanding quickly.
The 2305 comes with 100 accessory pieces (another version even has 228 pieces) so you can get started right away. I can’t go over each piece, but it includes mandrels, cutters, polishing pads, sanding discs and bits. In short, all the essential rotary tool accessories you may need.
With these at your disposal you can do a lot of work without putting yourself or the tool under a lot of stress. With variable speed ranging from 8,000 to 30,000 RPM, you’ll be cutting, carving and woodworking with accuracy.
The WEN 2035 is built with precision and it shows in the design. The bits and accessories are practical, so engraving, cutting, sanding are more quickly accomplished.
The 2305 has adjustment knobs so the range and speed are where you want it. The tool is also lightweight so it doesn’t wear your hand or wrist down.
#3: Black & Decker RTX-B 3-Speed RTX Rotary Tool Kit
The RTX-B comes with a three-speed 12,000/24,000/30,000 RPM, giving you more options for metal or woodwork. By adjusting the control you’ll be able to fine tune your work to get the finished product you want.
The RTX goes up to a high torque so you can work on more materials and get things done in less time. Even with continuous use, the RTX-B doesn’t slow down or suffer performance deterioration.
The powerful motor is only one aspect as it also benefits from its collet system. It is universal in nature so you can use Dremel bits and accessories from other rotary tools for full customization.
The RTX-B comes with the patented Flip Lock system for rapid switching of accessories. This makes changing easy so you don’t have to mess around with buttons.
The lightweight RTX-B is versatile enough to be used for drills and various cuts. It’s also for engraving, polishing and does what you’d expect from a rotary tool.
The RTX-B also gets rid of rust on metal, smooths material surfaces and makes drywall cut outs. Apart from the rotary tool, the package includes 5 accessories, a wrench, a user guide and storage bag.
#4: DEWALT DW660 Cut-Out 5 Amp 30,000 RPM Rotary Tool with 1/8-Inch and 1/4-Inch Collets
The DW660 is powered by a 5.0 amp motor, making it more powerful than the average model. Running at 120V, the DW660 performs the essentials – cuts, grinds, sharpens, drills, etc – more efficiently than other rotary tools.
At 30,000 RPM the DW660 gives you additional cutting force for working on thick materials. A 1/8” and 1/4” collet are included and also a drywall cutter bit.
The DW660 has a bump off/turn off switch so you can quickly turn the device on or off. Repeated use doesn’t affect its performance owing to the 5 amp motor.
The DW660 cuts thick, treated plywood without too much trouble. It’s also got power to go through drywall panels and plaster.
The power is good enough to cut fiberglass and other objects. This also means the DW660 has the juice needed by professionals, electricians and contractors.
The DW660 doesn’t need tools to make adjustments and it is compatible with many types of bits and accessories. With its spiral cutting bit the tool does a good job cutting laterally as well as plunging.
The unit has solid anti-vibration properties and it runs steadily even when you cut a lot of thick materials. Going through drywall and other solid surfaces doesn’t present a problem.
#5: SE 979FSG Flexible Shaft Grinder
The 979FSG is one of the best Dremel type tool attachments available. With the switch, pedal and flexible shaft grinder, you’ve got a tool that allows you to do more without stressing yourself too much.
This tool allows you to clean, cut, sand and polish. Using the 979FSG you’ll also find this tool ideal for buffing and carving soft metals, woodworking, jewelry making, model creation and so on.
All you need to do is set the motor overhead and utilize the flexible shaft grinder as you start working. Use the foot pedal to manage the speed.
It has 1/4 HP and 40 accessories so you can work on different projects. Maximum RPM is 22,000 so that should suffice for a lot of tasks and projects.
A blow mold case is included so you can store all those accessories so they’re accessible. The tool also does not produce the kind of noise that other grinders generate.
The 979FSG is well built and should last for years. Setting up is quick and you can add an extension cord if you find the power cord too short.
The bottom line is the 979FSG makes your work easier. With the accessories at your disposal you’ll get more stuff than without needing to put a lot of effort in.
#6: Kawasaki 840589 190-Piece Rotary Tool and Accessory Kit
The 840589 rotary kit comes with 190 pieces to help with your work. These accessories include attachments for polishing, cutting, grinding, sanding and other stuff you may want to do with your rotary tool.
The 840589 has 8,000 – 30,000 RPM variable speed so you can work at the speed your craft needs. With its 1.0 amp motor the 840589 can do a lot more than the typical rotary tool.
The 840589 was designed for the hobbyist who wants to polish, engrave, cut, buff, sand, deburr or drill. Using the variable speed dial you can set the dial to go faster or slower as necessary.
To use the 840589, just choose the desired brush, wheel, bit or attachment. Adjust the tool speed and put some pressure on the wood or metal.
Its drill bits are of exceptional quality, giving you control and precision. The tool’s ergonomic design also makes it more comfortable to use compared to a large drill.
The kit also has specialty bits for cutting plastic, glass, ceramic, gemstones and other materials. Using these you’ll be able to channel materials or drill without difficulty.
It also has grinding stones for shaping objects and grinding no-ferrous metals, gemstones, and precious metals. Nylon brushes and brass brushes are also included.
#7: Genesis GRT2103-40 VS Rotary Tool with 40 Accessories
The Genesis GRT2103-40 is designed for the hobbyist and anyone who needs a dependable rotary tool. With 40 accessory pieces there are enough bits and attachments here to match your needs.
The speed control and on/off switches are separate so you don’t accidentally turn the thing off while adjusting the speed. The speed range is 8,000 to 30,000 RPM so you can move as fast or slow as you like.
Its 1/8 inch collet works with different types of rotary tool accessories, and the 1.0 amp motor gets the job done. A handy storage case is included so you can store all those accessories.
Aside from cutting, sanding and grinding, the Genesis is also ideal for other tasks like creating holes in gemstones. By changing the bits on this tool you’ll be able to do other stuff like grinding exhaust parts.
The Genesis is also superbly built and take a lot of punishment. With other rotary tools you can expect them to wear out after a few heavy uses.
That isn’t the case here as the GRT2103 can handle a lot. Whether it’s drilling holes or you’re grinding a rough surface, the GRT2103 gets it done without wearing out. Bottom line, this rotary tool delivers.
#8: UBANTE U300 Variable Speed Rotary Tool Kit
The UBANTE is a versatile rotary tool for craft, home improvement and DIY projects. It’s compatible with all UBANTE accessories and attachments so you can customize its use.
The variable speed is 10,000 to 37,000 RPM so you can control the speed the way you want it. Once you’ve got the right speed, the 180W, 110V motor takes care of whatever task you’ve assigned to it.
The U300B provides consistent performance at different speeds for consistent results. By adjusting the variable speed you’ll get maximum precision and control.
Several accessories and attachments are included such as cutters, grinders, sanders and engraving tools. Simply change the bit or attachment to use the tool you need and the rotary tool does the rest.
The U300B has electronic feedback for better performance. If the attachments included aren’t enough, just use the others by UBANTE as they are fully compatible.
The U300B has a lot of features and capabilities, but is still one of the easier ones to use. It’s light and the ergonomic design means it won’t wear you out even used for a long time.
As a cutter the U300B goes through wood, plastics, old glue, wires and other stuff. It excels at grinding, getting rid of rust and deburring edges.
What is a Dremel Alternative?
These are tools, attachments and/or accessories which are marketed as alternatives to Dremel. They come in different styles and forms but generally:
- These products have many of the same features and accessories as Dremel.
- They are usually more affordable.
- These are all purpose tools that cut, grind, sharpen, etc.
- These companies provide counterparts to most if not all the Dremel tools.
- These alternatives are comfortable to use and have many of the benefits that Dremel tools offer.
- They’re designed for long term and extended use.
Types of Dremel Alternatives
These are the most common types of alternative tools.
- Rotary Tools: these are all around tools for cutting, polishing, sanding, grinding and so on. These alternative products come with all kinds of accessories to complement your toolbox.
- Saws: these saws range from the bench top and they are designed to go through metal, plastic, wood and other materials. These saws are also as precise as their Dremel counterparts.
- Multipurpose Tools: these are used for different tasks and ideal for the DIY buff. It is also for you if you’re looking for a precision tool that can multitask.
Dremel Alternative Bits & Accessories
- Flex Shaft Attachment: for delicate and precision work.
- Diamond bits: these are used to work on steel, mirror, glass, aluminum and ceramic tile.
- High Speed Cutters: for use on bookboards, wood, polymer clay and other surfaces.
- Sanding: two components are provided, the sand bands and the sand drum. Just put the band on the drum and replace when it’s worn out. Sanding bits are good for wood, polymer clay, Plexiglas and aluminum.
- Cutting Wheels: different types are available, ranging from fiberglass to abrasive and cut various materials.
How to Choose a Dremel Alternative
- Determine Your Needs: what type of tool do you need? Is it a cutting tool? A saw? A rotary tool? Think of the projects you’ll be working on and what tool best suits it.
- Portability: the tool should be lightweight so you’ll be comfortable using it for long stretches.
- Ease of Use: even the most powerful tool is useless if it’s difficult to use. An intuitive design is preferable.
- Affordable and with good customer support.
- Versatility: it is unlikely that you’ll use the tool for cutting or grinding only. Consider a rotary tool with several accessories so you don’t have to buy another tool.
- Easy Accessory Change: companies use different types of mechanisms to change accessories. Keyless and tooless designs are the most convenient.
- Adjustability: well designed rotary tools have knobs or dials to control the speed.
Features to Look For in a Dremel Alternative
- Dremel Compatibility: most bits and accessories are designed to work with Dremel, so make certain that tool is compatible with the brand. This becomes even more important if you’ve got Dremel bits and accessories you want to use.
- Power: look at the amps and the horsepower. The higher the number the more powerful the tool is. If the HP isn’t available the amp alone will do.
- Speed Range: rotary tool speed is measured in RPM (revolutions per minute). Higher speed provides more options and control.
- Attachments and Accessories: it’s not the number that matters here, but if they’re useful and practical.
- Carry Case: a storage case is necessary if you’ve got a hundred accessories or so.
- Corded vs. Cordless: there are pros and cons for both so go with the one that matches your requirements.
I chose these 8 products because they’ve been proven to work and excel in various works. If Dremel tools aren’t to your liking or you just want to try something different, these products can do the work for you. Yes there are a lot of alternatives but I chose these as they stand out.
As good as the 8 are, I can say the Tacklife RTD35ACL Rotary Tool Kit is the best Dremel alternative. The tool is easy to use, durable and is versatile enough to for crafting, DIY and professional work. Add the accessories and it’s a winning combo.